Tips on Packaging, Warehousing, and Fulfillment
Today’s product packaging companies are more than just third parties you hire to do a job. In fact, in today’s day and age, your product packaging company serves as a vital part of your overall success. Here are some tips on packaging, warehousing, and fulfillment that will help you make better decisions for your company’s unique needs.
Changes in labeling requirements and consumer demands will impact the packaging you choose and create for consumers in the very near future. These tips will help you make better choices and stay ahead of the curve.
- Go for lightweight options. The lighter your packaging, the less it costs to ship, and the less frustrated consumers feel when they buy your product. This benefits everyone in the long run, so it’s important to find the right balance between weight and product protection.
- Label your products with transparency. If your product is non-GMO, vegan-friendly, allergen-free, and more, be sure this is very clear on the label. More and more consumers buy specialty products to suit their dietary needs, and it is up to you to ensure that these consumers can find your product and spot its special characteristics quickly.
- Prepare for changes in FDA requirements. The FDA’s deadline for meeting new product packaging requirements is coming up next year, so getting a head start can truly help your company succeed. Learn more about the new requirements and discuss them with your product packaging company.
Your products will likely spend some time in a warehouse between the time they are packaged and the time they are shipped. The tips below will help you make the best possible decisions.
- Warehousing can get expensive. Bear in mind that many of today’s most prominent product packaging companies offer warehousing as part of their service packages. This is often much more affordable than securing and maintaining your own warehouse space.
- Warehouse environment is critical. This is especially true for food and beverage products that must be carefully stored and handled to preserve their freshness and safety. Be sure you’re working with a company that provides a climate-controlled, clean warehouse, or ensure that your own warehouse offers the optimal conditions for your products.
Whether you sell your products directly to consumers via the internet or to markets and vendors across the country, having the right fulfillment
systems in place can make a tremendous difference in your company’s reputation.
- Automation is vital. Automation can serve a few important purposes when it comes to order fulfillment. For example, it can let you know when a product’s inventory is low, when an order fails, and even when new inventory arrives in the warehouse. These things reduce steps and keep you in the know at all times.
- Branding services reinforce your company’s reputation with every order. When you choose fulfillment services alongside your product packaging, the boxes and even packing slips that go along with orders are all printed with your company’s logo. This further improves your brand’s recognition and drives future business.
- You need simple reporting tools. Finally, when choosing a third party to help manage order fulfillment, it is vital that you have access to real-time information and the ability to obtain reports as you need them.
Remember that your product packaging company of choice should offer you transparency at every step and work for you rather than against you. The tips above will help you make the right decisions when hiring a company, and they will even help you increase your revenue over time, as well.