The SPC (Sustainable Packaging Coalition) published a multi-page definition of Green Sustainable Packaging. Summarizing its definition, SPC said that sustainable packaging:
- Is beneficial, safe and healthy for individuals and communities throughout its life cycle.
- Meets market criteria for performance and cost.
- Is sourced, manufactured, transported and recycled using renewable energy.
- Maximizes the use of renewable or recycled source materials.
- Is manufactured using clean production technologies and best practices.
- Is made from materials healthy in all probable end-of-life scenarios.
- Is physically designed to optimize materials and energy.
- Is effectively recovered and utilized in biological and/or industrial cradle-to-cradle cycles.